Monday, October 1, 2012

Pros and Cons of Podcasts

I had no idea how popular podcasts had become until I reviewed the reading for this week’s module. I am especially impressed by the 101-year-old who uses Facebook. Generally, I tend to prefer reading the podcast transcripts because I can skip to topics I want to explore and avoid those I do not. I, like most people, also read much faster than the rate at which the podcasts are verbally delivered. When I want to cover as much material as I can in as little time as possible, I opt to read. There are occasions which lend themselves to listening to the broadcast instead of reading the transcript. If I am busy with my other adulthood responsibilities, I can download the podcast to my iPod and listen at my convenience. Downloading podcasts to listen to while showering or driving is appealing for many frenetic, multi-tasking Americans.

I first was introduced to podcasts through my alma mater, UNC-CH. They use the technology to supplement lectures, for student assignments, to broadcast events, and much more. They also share links to help students create their own podcasts.


Since the cons of podcasts are disproportionately low in comparison to the pros, I will start with them.  Though MP3 players may seem affordable to most Americans, they can be regarded as an expensive luxury for those barely able to purchase the basic necessities. That considered, using podcasts as a form of requisite instruction can be a deterrent for students with limited internet access. Secondly, podcasts can be as monotonous as face-to-face lectures if the instructor does not have the tools or knowledge to make the lessons more dynamic. Lastly, the format lends itself to accidental plagiarism or violation of copyright laws. An individual may face fines and retributions if he/she innocently broadcasts a funny blurb about the topic of discussion without prior approval.
How Stuff Works Podcasts (One of my favorite)
As a VARK aural (auditory) learner, I appreciate the power of verbal lectures. Visual learners also benefit from this technology. The most appealing aspect is that the individual has control over the transmission of data. If something comes up in the middle of a live feed, he/she can easily return to the podcast at a more convenient time. One can pause and replay sections if better clarity is needed.
From an educator’s perspective, podcasts afford the opportunity for students to feel personally acquainted with the instructor. Furthermore, students are able to showcase their understanding without the nuances of formal papers. This appeals to instructors who experience difficulties with distracting grammatical errors. Podcasts also allow guest speakers to impart practical knowledge and demonstrate application without paying the costs of travel.
Though I have rarely utilized podcast as an informative tool in the past, I plan to take advantage of the many opportunities they present.

Reference

King, K. P., & Cox, T. D. (2011). The Professor's Guide to Taming Technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing Inc.

3 comments:

  1. Tonya,

    You raise an interesting point about using podcasts in lieu of formal papers. I had never thought of that approach. King & Cox (2011) stated that instead of students turning in a traditional lab report or paper, the student is asked to present their analysis and evaluation of a particular subject in audio format, whereby giving the student the opportunity to verbalize their thoughts and other students the chance to respond in a similar manner. This approach helps students to think critically and present their ideas in a non-traditional way. I had never given this approach much thought but it sounds like a great way to engage students in thinking and presenting ideas without the challenge of putting it in a paper.

    Reference:
    King, K. P., & Cox, T. D. (2011). The Professor's Guide to Taming Technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I had not thought about using a Wiki to create a mock research proposal, but I can see the benefits of such an approach. My previous group got along fine without this technology, but I can't help but wonder how much more organized we would have been if we had taken advantage of the wiki formats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya, thanks for this post. I think your reflections are quite accurate and quite insightful. I am not sure I completely agree about the use of podcasts in place of formal papers for the sole reason that a paper provides a nuanced structure. I am not saying that a person can not provide an organized podcast just the verbal language tends to be less formal and hence greater probability of introducing an informal style that may not convey the information in as clear a manner. Like you said, the formalism of a paper can be quite tedious but it presents information in a systematic way. As long as podcasts are equally organized I think it is good.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete