Thursday, October 4, 2012

Interview Podcast

For my final assignment, I chose to interview Donte McCoy, the 22-year-old program coordinator for the University of Phoenix's Asia/ Pacific division. Mr. McCoy also happens to be a technology dynamo, having built his own computer and server before even graduating high school. I sent a list of possible questions for Mr. McCoy to review before our scheduled interview. I assumed that his answers would contain points of clarification and technological jargon that I would have to decipher after the interview. To my surprise, this was not the case. Mr. McCoy explained very plainly that the most useful technologies are those that most people take for granted -- such as communications programs. In his opinion, user-friendly communication tools are indispensable to distance education because learning cannot occur if there is miscommunication on either end. I agree. After the interview, I understood why Mr. McCoy has achieved such a prestigious position at such a young age. He clearly defines his goals, has a plan for achieving them, knows the value of clarity, and communicates on a level accessible to techno-flunkies like me.




During this process, I became intimately aware of the pitfalls of podcast technology. When I lived in Korea, I was restricted from visiting many sites originating in the U.S. because of piracy problems. For that same reason, Mr. McCoy and I were unable to take advantage of the podcast format. After two attempts, I settled for an interview via Skype. I downloaded an application which would allow me to record the conversation. Afterward, I realized that the sound was too garbled to distinguish. The poor sound quality prevented me from being able to decipher what was said. Even though I participated in the conversation, I could not recall all that was discussed. Mr. McCoy graciously emailed me a written response to the questions I previously sent. I converted that transcript into this video.

Update: Thanks to KSU Cuz for pointing this out--

"I had never heard of Microsoft Office Communicator, so I looked it up in Wikipedia (where else?). Turns out, it’s not called Communicator anymore; now it’s known as Microsoft Lync, and it’s essentially a corporate version of Windows Live Messenger"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Lync


References:

Kang, H. (2012). EDACE 765: Adult Learners and Integrating Technoloty into Curriculum Fall 2012 Syllabus. (Unpublished). 
King, K. P., & Cox, T. D. (2011). The Professor's Guide to Taming Technology. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing Inc.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Tonya,

    An emerging theme I see so far from everyone’s audio/video podcast projects is the need to overcome obstacles. For some of us the obstacles were equipment-related, for others it was distance separating the participants. In your case, it was both of these, as well as legal/security restrictions. I commend you for persevering through all this and finding a way to produce an interesting “virtual virtual” interview. It was a great idea to provide a link to the written transcript, too.

    I had never heard of Microsoft Office Communicator, so I looked it up in Wikipedia (where else?). Turns out, it’s not called Communicator anymore; now it’s known as Microsoft Lync, and it’s essentially a corporate version of Windows Live Messenger:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Lync

    We’ve learned of an amazing number of computer applications in this class!

    KSU Cuz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi KSU Cuz! I was going to update that information just now. As it turns out, you did it for me. So thanks! I hope you don't mind me quoting you in my text. I want to post it at the end of the main body in case visitors do not click the comments. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tonya! Good on you for hanging in there! I enjoyed your interview and I think you were quite resourceful to figure out a way to manage this project in spite of your challenges. I like XtraNormal. Very fun for short stuff like this. I have used it personally to develop my introduction for this class and I have incorporated some fun XtraNormal videos in several wiki projects in past classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute and informative video. I'd never heard of xtranormal.com - I'll have to check it out. I would love to have the option of "attending" live classroom sessions, with the understanding they are optional. Afterall, that would negate the benefit on online education. Great improvisation! Once Google Fiber is available to everyone that (attending live sessions via video) might be more feasible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tonya,
    I concur with KSU CUZ that an emerging theme of this project is overcoming challenges and you did that nicely. When I first viewed the video I was a little confused as to why you picked the XtraNormal software but after realizing you had to come up with an alternative way to present the interview, I was most impressed with how you adapted and overcame the challenge. You have contributed some great insights into this course and I have learned a great deal from you. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did it and it all worked out!! Great job! Sometimes you have to think around the technology and make it work for you. My experience wasn't all roses either. I too had bumps in the road. Luckily we both had interviewees who were gracious enough to be patient with us until we got it right.

    ReplyDelete